Dangerous Minds

I think I can talk for everybody if I say we’re still shocked because of the massacre in the US. What’s wrong with those people? How crazy must someone be to be able to do something like that? Okay…see, I won’t put in my two cents now, I really don’t want to write about this fearsome massacre or similar topics that already had happened; not only because I think everybody did that already, but mainly because I personally have trouble doing that. Why? No matter how “topic-number-one” an incident might be, this particular story really knocked me for a loop and I kind of consider it morbid to prefer writing about such a topic to a rather “boring” one.
But oh well, that’s just my opinion and “Dangerous Minds” was originally meant to be about something else: “The Shocking Truth…..”
USA, GB, Iraq, Australia, Africa, all the news from all over the world you here on radio, read in the papers and see on TV seem to be extremely far away from us and I often catch myself thinking: “Am I happy to be living in Austria.” And although it must sound horrible, I have to admit that I so far never really felt like we were in danger. I mean, what happens in Austria? We’ve no real natural disasters, no such big crime, we’re not at war with anybody or anything…………….
What I’m trying to formulate is the following (oh my God am I confused but that’s obviously due to what I/ we had to experience in the last few days): You see, Austria is a little alpine republic with a bit more than 8 million people living here and then there’s this ONE f****** freak who seems to be modelled on the US massacre, who thinks what the student over there did was good and he has to live in MY dorm. What the heck is wrong with this world? On Tuesday (April 24) he obviously just off the top of his head, for whatever reason, decided to freak out. Verbally he totally run amok and said things like: “The guy in America was totally right with what he did and I’m going to make this f****** dorm a crematory…I’m gonna shoot or burn y’all and film the whole thing…etc etc.”
For years you’re living peacefully together with this person, some of us door-to-door with him, and you have no clue about his sick thoughts or plans. Then, out of the nothing, he threatens you and smashes everything to bits, gets out of control. It’s not fun, I can tell you. We’re all together quite paranoid, scared and speechless. One girl – one of this freak’s direct neighbors – even moved away to another block on another floor. The “management” at first tried to speak with him but it didn’t help or do anything. He did not regret anything and assured that he meant every single word seriously in his rage. We had to call the police. But you know what….they would not have hauled him off, were the police not already searching for him. They were searching him for some other “crime”. He of course was terminated without notice out of the dorm and he’s in jail at the moment. At least we believe so. He got arrested but if he’ll be assessed to be normal they won’t keep him and the brashness ever is that the police won’t tell us when they’ll let him out. What if he wants payback? What if his threat becomes reality? ……Some of us even called their families to talk about what had happened and to tell them things they rarely express etc. I mean who knows….Danger is closer to you than you would believe. My mom always told me to never part/ separate from somebody when you’re still in conflict with the person cause you can never know what could happen. And she’s so true! We’re really scared and I hope no one will ever have to write about the massacre of the SchönbrunnHeim.

2 comments:

fn said...

Knowing Austria as I think I do, I can't believe this really happened in your dorm. I mean it reads like fiction somehow.

Was this guy drunk or on drugs?

Or was he just psychotic to begin with?

I am shocked because where I come from the are plenty of nutcases, but here most of the time life is nice and predictable and boring in a way and we all like it that way...

Sim said...

I can understand your scepticism, especially because it was as big as a "surprise" to us but the story's unfortunately true. We're happy that he's still in jail and hope he stays there for a longer time in order to rethink everything he said. Hopefully he won't make his threat true. *fingers cross*
All we know about him is that he's an orphan, he always was a loner who behaved quite strange but harmless. His story is very sad and he's a poor guy but all our efforts to "get along with him" after that incident were for nothing. He was too agressive and offensive.
Oh...that you think this story reads like a fiction ... I take this a compliment ;-)