Freestyle Slalom Skating

Have you ever heard of that, done it yourself or seen some professionals doing that? If you have no idea how freestyle slalom skating looks like you can check out some videos here (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6). Well, yes, that's what I do more or less and maybe one day you'll find a video from me on youtube ;-). But seriously...I love skating. Ever since I stopped dancing ballet I didn't quite know what to do with myself and I veeredfrom one extreme (namely exercising every day for at least 5 hours) to the other (namely doing nothing that has to do with movement, extreme-couch-potatoing) until I rediscovered my passion for skating. I skated a lot when I was younger but our ballet teachers kind of forbid doing all kinds of other sports because of the risk of injury. If we had hurt ourselves, we would have been kicked out of the school, so I decided to not hurt myself. But there's no problem with that today anymore ;-). Skating isn't just fun it also keeps me in shape, keeps me exercising, sweating, practicing, ambitious etc etc. It's so much fun to do and it's a challenge to learn all these tricky things. I like it so much because it has to do a lot with body control, balance, self discipline, hard training and tangible improvement.
During my Easter Holidays I spent much time practicing along the Danube in Vienna. Both sides of the Danube are used for doing all kinds of sports and it’s really long, about 30 km. So you can imagine how many people you can find there on such a big area. It’s fantastic and I met some cool people sharing the same passion with me. There were two Spaniard freaks for example who are really good in freestyle slalom skating and they showed me new things and gave me lots of advice which is not just important but especially helpful. I enjoyed spending time with all these people very much and I’ll miss every single person a lot. See how easy making friends is?! Just go outside, build up some cones (these are the little “mugs” we use for slalom), practice a bit and the people will come to you. I’m still in contact with one of the Spaniards via skype. His name’s Marc and the funniest thing apart from skating with him is talking with him. We of course communicate in English only cause he doesn’t speak any German and I don’t speak any Spanish. Sometimes it’s a bit tricky to understand him; for two reasons: 1. He has a Spanish accent and he likes to use Spanish words whenever he doesn’t know the English one but I have a lot of fantasy and we manage to understand each other. 2. I guess because of the Spanish word order – which seems to be totally different to the English – he sounds like Yoda. It’s so funny! He sometimes says things like: “Ambitious you must be.” But enough about that!
Skating doesn’t only keep me in shape physically and mentally, it also makes me practice English and I was quite surprised how difficult it can be to talk about everyday, “normal” things; things that you usually talk with your friends about. But I have to admit…even although Marc's English is not as good, I have the feeling that learning especially vocabulary by simply just speaking English is the best and most effective way.